Batteries not included?
Most of us, especially the kids, receive at least one gift each year that requires batteries.
Unfortunately, batteries have a negative environmental impact due to the fact that they use 50 times as much energy to produce, compared with what they give out.
- Try to avoid buying gifts that are battery-operated, or at least look for presents that can also run off mains power.
- If batteries are essential, then use rechargeable batteries - which represent a better choice for the environment.
- Give a recharger as a gift - parents will love it.
- Remember that you may be able to recycle both single-use and rechargeable batteries. For battery recycling in your area visit RecyclingNearYou.com.au or call 1300 733 712.
- For more information on batteries, check out our Battery Buzz page or the Battery Factsheet (below).
Battery Recycling Factsheet
Find out all about batteries and how to recycle both single-use and rechargables.
Documents marked with may only be available in PDF format. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (or the reader), a FREE reader is available from Adobe.