Do #7 Recycle Right
‘Tis the season for milk, juice and custard cartons, foil trays, glass bottles and aluminium cans! If you're like most Aussies and you recycle most of the packaging you use at home throughout the year, keep up the good work at Chrissy!
Better yet, use this season as an excuse to give the earth a pressie by getting answers to your, "I wonder if this could be recycled?" questions! Check out the RecycleSmart App, RecyclingNearYou.com.au or call the Hotline on 1300 733 712.
Take action, commit to Do #7.
Here are some of tips to get you started:
- Limit waste in the first place by buying in bulk or choosing groceries in sensible packaging. Christmas is the time of year when the recycling bin is likely to overflow with packaging.
- Make extra space by flattening milk and juice cartons, cardboard boxes, aluminium cans and plastic bottles.
- Store the excess recycling until the next collection if the bin gets too full.
- Scrunch aluminium foil and baking trays into a ball for recycling.
- Soft plastics can be recycled at many metropolitan Coles stores and Woolworths stores. This includes biscuit packs, bread, pasta, chip and lolly packets, and old 'green bags'.
- Don't bag it! In most council areas plastic shopping bags can not be recycled in your kerbside recycling bin, though please check locally as some councils are starting to accept them with other soft plastics.